Zonar and the Canadian ELD mandate
We’re at the ready to help you be compliant.
If your fleet travels across the U.S.-Canada border, the deadline to comply with the Canadian ELD mandate is coming up. Effective June 12, 2021, the Canadian ELD mandate is similar to the U.S. ELD mandate, but features a few key differences, including the requirement for third-party certification. (Updated technical standards to the Canadian ELD mandate were published in October 2020.)
Preparing from the start
We’ve been preparing for certification since the Canadian ELD mandate was initiated. We’ve worked with Transport Canada, the Canadian Trucking Alliance and CCMTA on certification since the mandate’s inception. Throughout the process, our in-house safety and compliance experts have provided input on the Canadian ELD Standards. Our team knows the mandate inside and out.
If your fleet needs to comply with the Canadian ELD mandate, we are best equipped to help you transition smoothly and successfully.
What to be aware of
Rarely does any new regulation hit the ground running perfectly, and we’re ready to assist our customers and law enforcement officials. If your fleet needs to comply with the Canadian ELD mandate, keep the following in mind.
- The cost for certification is high, with an annual certification cost for ELD vendors as well.
- The Canadian ELD Mandate will begin with an enforcement rollout, involving education and awareness only; no penalties to carriers at the start of the mandate, through the first year. (Read the full press release from the Government of Canada.)
- Jurisdictions plan to support the Canadian ELD mandate with progressive enforcement, including elevated education and awareness, from June 12, 2021, through June 12, 2022.
- Carriers and drivers are responsible for complying with provincial and territorial regulations and requirements, which can vary.
During that first year, jurisdictions will also monitor the progress of certified ELDs entering the market as carriers and drivers make their transition toward June 12, 2022. Working with the right carrier from the start will mitigate disruptions and number of non-compliance issues for your fleet.
Why upgrading from paper to electronic logging now is so important
If your fleet use uses paper-based logging, upgrading to electronic logs now will better prepare you for the Canadian ELD mandate. Zonar Logs, which resides on Zonar tablets, already complies with U.S. ELD, offers Canadian HoS, and will be certified for Canadian ELD by the deadline.
Move to Zonar Logs now, and when the time comes, we’ll simply activate the account and tablets to the Canadian ELD for an even smoother, more seamless transition. Plus, your drivers can get used to using electronic logs before the Canadian deadline.
Resources to make the transition smoothly
We regularly provide resources to help you stay informed. Our regular webinars, updates and training from our industry experts are designed to help you prepare for a smooth, well-informed transition.
- Understand the differences between the U.S. and Canadian ELD mandates.
- Know if one or more exemption applies to your fleet.
- Develop a law enforcement checklist to guide your drivers through roadside inspections.
Read up to move forward
Keeping up with emerging regulations is difficult. Know how the Canadian ELD mandate will affect your fleet and make sure you’re ready. Contact us to set up a complimentary consultation with one of our safety and compliance experts.