ELD Mandate Timeline
Overview of FMCSA’s ELD Mandate Timeline If your operation is using paper logs today, you may soon be required by federal regulation to move to electronic logging devices (ELDs).
On March 13, 2014, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) issued a Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (SNPRM) to require the adoption of ELDs by all drivers currently required to complete paper records of duty status (logs).
- AOBRD are grandfathered through Dec 16, 2019 if installed by Dec 18, 2017
- After Dec 18, 2017 only ELD compliant devices can be installed
- It’s important to plan for installation and training lead time when purchasing
- The final ELD rule was published.
December 18, 2017
- The two-year period following the publication of the ELD Mandate rule.
- During this time, carriers and drivers subject to the rule should prepare to comply, and may voluntarily use ELDs.
- AOBRD or ELD devices may be installed.
December 15, 2019
- The two-year period from the compliance date to the full compliance phase.
- All Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV’s) must have an AOBRD (installed prior to December 18, 2017) or a certified registered ELD installed.
- Only ELD devices may be installed from this point on.
- All CMV’s must use certified, registered ELDs that comply with requirements of the ELD mandate.
- All devices must be ELD compliant.