Fundamentals of fleet management
Fleets don’t run themselves. Commercial motor carriers, construction and utility companies, state and city agencies, public transit, school bus transportation—fleets come in all shapes, sizes, purposes and industries. Whatever your fleet looks like, making the most efficient, effective use of each vehicle and asset requires seeing it from a high level down to the details for each vehicle. And that requires smart fleet management technology.
Understand what fleet management is—and what fleet managers do.Fleet management is the administrative process of overseeing fleet operations. Fleet managers monitor and manage the fleet, and are responsible for its overall performance, efficiency, productivity, utilization, route planning, and driver and operator performance.
- Organize drivers, routes and vehicles.
- Manage fuel consumption, efficiency habits and costs.
- Reduce risk to the company, staff, drivers, operators and public.
- Design and manage maintenance programs.
- Coordinate maintenance and repairs.
- Comply with applicable state and federal regulations.
- Track fleet metrics and vehicle diagnostics.
- Research and champion new fleet management technologies.
What about fleet telematics?Fleet telematics is a core component of fleet management. Telematics technology captures detailed vehicle data and uploads it to a secure, online portal. Using reliable fleet telematics to track vehicle location and usage enables fleet managers to make meaningful decisions based on objective, real-world data. Construction fleets in particular can make more efficient asset utilization decisions by using telematics data to track mixed fleets of assets and their usage multiple locations. Read more about what to look for in a telematics provider. Then contact us with questions.
Ensure fleet drivers and operators perform safely.Safer drivers, fewer accidents, safer fleet. A quality fleet management solution supports fleet managers’ efforts to promote safe performance and measure their safety program’s effectiveness. Today’s fleet management are led by managers who prioritize safety as part of their fleet’s culture.
- Understand why safety’s important.
- Identify top unsafe driving behaviors.
- Calculate how much reducing fleet accidents can save.
- Include driving training technology as part of your fleet management solution.
Retain quality fleet drivers.Fleet managers in every industry struggle with driver retention. Good drivers don’t like being ignored so fleet managers can focus on poor-performing drivers. Level the playing field so every driver is treated fairly, and you’ll have a fleet staffed with safe, reliable drivers.
- Show a commitment to driver safety.
- Provide well-maintained vehicles.
- Empower drivers to take control of their own performance.
- Implement a fleet gamification program to foster healthy competition.
Comply with federal regulations.
ELD mandate for HoSCertain fleets are subject to the ELD mandate, which requires drivers to use an electronic logging device (ELD) to record their hours of service (HoS). Soon, the Canadian ELD mandate will be in effect, and drivers who carry loads across that border will need to comply with both. For these carriers, their fleet management solution needs to include a tested, validated, FMCSA-approved ELD solution.
- Make it easy for drivers to record and edit their hours of service.
- Enable fleet managers to view and manage driver availability remotely, online.
PTASP Final Rule for public transit fleetsPublic transit fleets need to incorporate safety plans into their fleet management processes. Effective July 19, 2019, the FTA requires certain public transit agencies and all rail transit operators to develop safety plans. Known as the Public Transportation Agency Safety Plan (PTASP) Final Rule, this rule requires these safety plans to include processes, procedures and performance targets for a safety management system (SMS). Again, reach out to our dedicated Safety and Compliance team for expert guidance.
Choose the right smart fleet management solution.Fleet management is a challenge. And basic solutions will help you get only so far. A leading smart fleet management solution is worth making a smart investment.
- Flexible enough to fit your fleet.
- Easy to use for authorized personnel from fleet manager to the back off to drivers and operators.
- Able to paint you an accurate picture of fleet so you can make the most of every asset.