Zonar and The National Association for Pupil Transportation (NAPT) are pleased to announce the 2017 winners of the annual Don Carnahan Memorial Grant.
Zonar Provides School Districts with nearly half a million dollars in Smart Fleet Management Hardware to Improve Pupil Transportation Safety in the U.S. and Canada
Seattle Wash. – November 6, 2017 - Zonar, the leader in smart fleet management technology and The National Association for Pupil Transportation (NAPT) are pleased to announce the 2017 winners of the annual Don Carnahan Memorial Grant. This year there are 33 recipients, with combined fleets of nearly 1500 school buses. Grant winners will receive the latest bus safety, security and efficiency technology hardware valued at up to $50,000.
- Angleton Independent School District, TX
- Beaumont Independent School District, TX
- Bellingham School District #501, WA
- Benton Community School Corp, IN
- Burnet Consolidated School District, TX
- Cabarrus County Public Schools, NC
- Capistrano Unified School District, CA
- Caroline County Public Schools, VA
- Champaign Unit #4 School District, IL
- Cheatham County Schools, TN
- Earlimart Elementary, CA
- Erie-Galesburg Unified School District 101, KS
- Fremont County School District #25, WY
- Grossmont Union High School District, CA
- Huron School District, SD
- Jacksonville North Pulaski School District, AR
- Kern County Superintendent of Schools, CA
- Kingsway Regional School District, NJ
- Lake Orion Community Schools, MI
- Manteca Unified School District, CA
- Marion Community School District, IN
- Metro Technology Center, OK
- Morgan Hill Unified School District, CA
- Muscatine Community School District, IA
- Northwest Local School District, OH
- Oroville Union High School District, CA
- Oxnard Union High School District, CA
- Pocono Mountain School District, PA
- Poway Unified School District, CA
- San Jose Unified School District, CA
- Seguin Independent School District, TX
- The Newark Public Schools, NJ
- Weslaco Independent School District, TX
In the U.S. there are an estimated 480,000 school buses on the road, transporting 25 million students daily, 34 percent are equipped with Zonar technology. With such important passengers on the go, Zonar and NAPT have worked together to help school districts keep students safe without using up their limited resources. This grant is awarded to districts that strive to improve the safety, effectiveness and efficiency of pupil transportation in the United States and Canada. These recipients are given the best practice fleet management technology including but not limited to, Electronic Verified Inspection Reporting (EVIR®), Global Position System (GPS), Real Time Engine Diagnostic Reporting (V3™), Student Tracking (Z Pass®), and Ground Traffic Control and Tracking valued at over $50,000. Products like these can help prevent the over 109 bus accidents that occur annually. From 2013 to 2015 there was an estimated 328 bus related accidents, but only one involved a Zonar vehicle (0.3 percent).
"Each year almost 30% all bus-related crashes can be attributed to bus driver error. With these solutions from Zonar that monitor driver and passenger behavior there can be a dramatic decrease in driver mistakes,” said H. Kevin Mest, senior vice president and general manager of passenger services, Zonar. “This grant allows districts to acquire the equipment necessary to provide a school system with the "Inspect, Track and Know" tools, keeping students safe on the road without being concerned about cost."
"NAPT is thrilled to be partnering with Zonar for the seventh time on this grant opportunity," said Mike Martin, executive director, NAPT. "NAPT and Zonar have committed to helping school districts by supporting safety initiatives in pupil transportation. We both recognize the challenges school systems encounter in their efforts to get the financial resources necessary to implement leading technology despite the payback opportunity."
The rolling grant opportunity has been made available annually to eligible NAPT members since 2011. It enables more school districts in the U.S. and Canada access to Zonar's smart fleet technologies with inspection, tracking, and reporting capabilities that empower school districts to manage their bus fleet operations more effectively and keep students safe. With the help of NAPT, Zonar has awarded dozens of technology grants over the past seven years.
For more information on the Don Carnahan Memorial Grant, visit www.zonarsystems.com/grant-program
About NAPT NAPT is the school transportation industry’s largest and most diverse membership organization with members throughout the United States and Canada, as well as several countries in Europe, Asia and the Middle East. NAPT is headquartered in Albany, NY. www.napt.org
About Zonar Founded in 2001, Zonar has pioneered smart fleet management solutions throughout vocational, pupil, mass transit and commercial trucking industries. Zonar helps fleets of all sizes maximize the use of their assets with solutions dedicated to improving compliance, efficiency, maintenance, ridership visibility, safety and tracking. Cloud-based services with open API's drive Zonar's smart fleet solutions by making it easy for fleet owners and managers to stay connected to their fleets and drivers and operators to dispatch. Headquartered in Seattle and majority-owned by technology company Continental, Zonar also has a Technology Development Center in downtown Seattle, a regional office in Cincinnati, and a distribution center outside of Atlanta. For more information about Zonar, go to www.zonarsystems.com